Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Turning Into Our Parents!

Is there ever a time that you say something and then almost immediately after you say it, you think in your head that you sounded just like your parents!!! This makes me laugh because I remember growing up and there were times I would specifically say I will NEVER tell my child that....well hahaha on me because here I am almost 20 years later saying those exact same phrases! Example- the other day we were sitting at the table eating supper and Jagger would not eat his vegetables, let me rephrase..he would not even TRY them! I told him that if he could not get up until he tried at least one little black eyed pea! ONE...not a mouth full, just one! Instantly, I was taken back to when I was little and there was one time I could not get up from the table until I finished my whole plate! I am pretty sure that I had to sit there until my bedtime! and what makes this story funny is that there is a V8 commercial out right now where the mom tells the little boy that he can not get up from the table until he eats his veges. You see the little boy and then the next scene he is still sitting at the table but he is an old man!! I am sure this is how I felt at the time!
Here is a list of phrases I have come up with that I am sure we have all heard at one time or another and possibly we are now using them ourselves!!
* Close the door!! - Were you raised in a barn?
* Because I said so.....
* Stop crying before I give you something to cry about!
* Hold your horses
* I'll wash your mouth out with soap
*This hurts me more than it hurts you! - I use to HATE this one growing up...how can this spanking hurt you when you aren't even getting one??
*can't never did- My dad still reminds me of this one!!
* You'll understand when you are a parent! (yes you do!)
* Just WAIT till your father gets home!
* I was not born yesterday
* There are starving people in Africa who would gladly eat your dinner
* We are not laughing at you, we are laughing with you!
* Don't make me pull this car over!!!
I am sure there are tons more that I have missed but these are the ones that come to my mind! and even as a child  saying that I would never do certain things with my child, I now know that if I use these and sound like my parents that is not a BAD thing! I look at myself and think they did a great job..
Hope everyone has a blessed night!

1 comment:

  1. Megan, this blog is so funny. I remember when I heard myself sound like Mom!

    I have used every saying that you listed. Here are some that Mom used on us: 1. Don't sass me, young lady. (Just trying to explain) 2. Clean your plate or it will be there for the next meal. (We really believed her>) 3. Hush (right after we got the belt.)

    Once I did not stop the car and tried to discipline Tabitha and Shandon and ended up getting a speeding ticket.

    Love your blogs! Love you!

    ReplyDelete